With the faulty exhaust servo successfully removed from the FireBlade I searched for a reputable dealer and ordered up a good second hand unit, saving nearly £200 over a brand new part.
It arrived quickly and today I had some spare time so I made about getting the replacement part installed.
I'd made good notes regarding the arrangement of the servo cables and managed to slide the new part in without too much hassle. There is a fair amount of space under the tank of the FireBlade, but I still had to make sure that I hadn't snagged any cabling or tubing. It was here that I realised my problem. The replacement part has come off a 2003 CBR954RR, which is for all intents and purposes the same bike as my 2002 CBR954RR. However, the problem I've encountered is that the block plugs, used to connect the servo to the loom, are slightly different.
The block plugs themselves look very similar from the outside, but one is wider than the other, meaning it won't fit. I'm feeling a mix of disappointment and anger as I only noticed this after I did all the hard work. I can't blame the seller, because in reality it could very easily be my bike that is the problem. All very frustrating really, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I should, with a little help from a more electrics comfortable friend, be able to swap one or both of the blocks around and get everything up and running as it should. Well, that's the plan anyway.