November 19th, 2013
In an attempt to diagnose the problems with the monster at very slow revs I took the bike down to Metropolis. A few of the suggestions from the UK Monsters Forum www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster were problems with the spark plugs, problems with the idle or possible de-sync of the throttle bodies. Well the bodies had already been balanced and today the lugs got changed, but still the problem persisted. Artur tried changing the idle speed, but the adjustments being made were having little or no affect, which in turn led to an inspection of the rubber air intakes.
The image isn't all that clear, but what it show is that both rubber intakes have split. This must have also been the case when I test rode the bike, as it was already displaying the symptoms of poor fuelling. Looking at the left side of the engine there also appears to be some sort of leak, possibly a gasket failure. Really not a great start to my Monster ownership. What I really wanted/needed, especially as we head into another UK winter, was a bike that I didn't need to think about, one that would work when I need it to, so this little event has annoyed me somewhat, but like most things, it can be fixed. The parts have been ordered, but the bike will have to go back to the shop again to have them fitted.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
My name is Matt Brown and I'm a UK journalist formerly based in London, but now calling the South of England home. I've been riding bikes since 2007, but got hooked straight away. Nothing gives me the feeling of freedom, even when stuck in a city. In 2010 I became a RoSPA gold rider, but when it comes down to it, I'm Just a normal man, riding his bikes as often as he can.